[vlc] Re: Movies etc...

Paul Allen allenp at nwlink.com
Fri May 23 21:01:09 CEST 2003

Larry wrote:
> /*Could someone tell me where I can download a few movies that work for
> VLC, I'd like to try a few myself to see how well it works...
>
> Thanks to anyone that can help me here...*/

Google is your friend.  I asked it for "mpeg movies".  The first hit
was:

     http://home.in.tum.de/~paula/mpeg/

This guy's got a collection of low-res clips from commercial movies
and animations.  Wallace and Gromit, the shower scene from Psycho,
etc.  No sound in any of the ones I checked.

Next comes this NASA site:

     http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/mpeg/

This is near-realtime movies of solar activity from the SOHO
spacecraft.  Cool!  No audio.

And then there's this:

     http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~murray/aikido/mpegs.html

It's a small collection of mpegs of Aikido practitioners tosing
each other around.  No audio.

And then there's this great archive of old ads, PBS shows,
short features, etc.  Featured on the front page: "Duck and
Cover", "Are You Popular", "In My Merry Oldsmobile".  The old
square dancing Lucky Strike ad I downloaded had sound.  Find it
here:

     http://www.archive.org/movies/movies.php

You get the idea.  Go forth and find movies!

Paul Allen