[vlc] Re: Zaurus 5500 - No Sound?

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed Nov 5 18:06:56 CET 2003

Masiyowski, John wrote:
>  > Masiyowski, John wrote:
>  > > Hello,
>  > >
>  > > I have installed vlc on a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500.  I am able to obtain
>  > > video, but no sound via the headphones.
>  > > The build in media player on the Zaurus is able to play an mpeg movie
>  > > (video and audio) just fine.
>  > > I have included the logs from both the SL-5600 version of the Zaurus
>  > > which plays the same file just fine, and from
>  > > the SL-5500 which there is no audio..  Any clues?
>  >
>  > Does SL-5500 use ALSA sound layer for sound? VLC 0.5.3 uses OSS sound
>  > layer and is not capable of ALSA yet.
>  >
>  > The way solve it for you is installing the alsa oss emulation and
>  > configuring it in the right way.

This was an answer in the case your Zauras uses ALSA instead of OSS. I
should have been more clear here ;-)

> Do you know where can a pre-built version of alsa be found for the Zaurus?
Sorry, no. But if you do not have ALSA on the Zaurus then you do not
need it. VLC 0.5.3 only uses OSS.

>  > I made some comments in the vlc log. You miss the library
>  > librt, go and
>  > get it from the zaurus download page.
>
> The library was installed, I have the premissions set to rwx for all...
> not sure whatelse to do?

What is the files name and its location?
VLC requires the specific version 2.1.3. If you have another version
then try:  ln -s /lib/librt-<yourversion>.so /lib/librt-2.1.3.so

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

VLC iPaq maintainer.