[vlc] Re: Zaurus 5500 - No Sound?

Masiyowski, John jmasiyowski at raytheon.com
Tue Nov 11 13:29:12 CET 2003

Jean,
> -----Original Message-----> From: Jean-Paul Saman
> Masiyowski, John wrote:
> > got the Zaurus reloaded..  sometimes when I do a reboot, the Zaurus
> > hangs, the screen display goes wackey and the only way to
> recover is to
> > do a hard reset.  This hang up happened after I installed the QPE
> > terminal application.
>
> Looks like a clash in libraries ? Or a memory problem I
> noticed you only
> had 30 MB as memory is that correct or a wrong setting??
>
> "Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock0 mem=30M"
>
> It seems to me like a little low on memory. I would expected
> it to have
> about 64MB of memory not 32MB.

According the the product sheet, the SL-5500 should have 64MB for
applications.
It looks like the memory is split between memory (working) and storage); 32
MB each...
According to the system Info GUI, with no apps running, 19MB memory is free,
with 15MB
cached, and 8MB used.

The SL-5600 has 64MB of protected Flash ROM and 32 MB or SDRAM.

> >  > The situation however will become better when there is a GUI
> >  > under OPIE
> >  > (only needs time or some one to work on it). The CVS
> version already
> >  > includes RTSP support for VLC, so the server can then trigger
> >  > VLC that a
> >  > stream has ended.
> >
> > This will help.
> >
> > Let me bring up another scenario where by it is good for
> the vlc to be
> > able to timeout.
> > If the network connection between the vlc and the server
> (vlc or vls) is
> > broken (which can happen when vlc is either the iPAQ or
> Zaurus using a
> > WLAN connection) and cannot be re-eastalished, then the
> message from the
> > server cannot be delivered.  Thus, the client is waiting
> indefinately...
> >
> Yep, but if you got some connection back you'd like to
> continue watching
> without hassle ;-). Anyway with a GUI the user would have a choice of
> stopping the application and without ...... well you know ;-)

John