[vlc] Re: problem with vlc streaming!

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Nov 17 21:09:51 CET 2003

Leung Chi Hung wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have the following problem:
> Now, i want to stream the video from my web cam ( Logitech QuickCam
> Zoom ) connected to the laptop ( installed RH Linus 9.0 ) using the
> VLC ver 0.6.2 to my iPAQ ( installed with Familiar Linux ver 0.6.0 ).

Streaming to an iPaq (probably over WLAN) requires carfull thought about
available bitrate and what an iPaq can decode. Your commanline below
clearly do not take these into account, which is why it won't work for you.

> Following the instructions on the web, i have typed the following
> command line, but it seems no reponse, anyone got any hints on this?
>
> *vlc -vvv
> v4l:/dev/video:norm=secam:frequency=543250:size=640x480:channel=0:adev=/dev/dsp:audio=0
> --sout
> '#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,acodec=mpga,vb=3000,ab=256,vt=800000,keyint=80,deinterlace}:std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=192.168.0.42}'
> --ttl 12*

1) You can't stream mp4v to an iPaq and expect it to work. Most iPaq's
are not powerfull enough to support MPEG 4. Encode the video in mpeg2 or
mpeg1 instead.
2) A screen size of 640x480 is much to large for an iPaq which screen is
only 240x320
3) frequency and norm seem strange to me, but I'm in Europe. We use pal
and a frequency of 8692 kHz.
4) lower the vb to about 1024 kbits/s and audio to 128 kbits/s

A tip first try to view the webcam locally with VLC before trying to
stream. It will make debugging easier.

> Before issuing this command, the web said i have to add the
> "--enable-v4l to ./configure" , how can i do this? where is the config
> file?

Run ./bootstrap first then ./configure --enable-v4l ..... and other
arguments you want.

> Also, i tried to test if my VLC on the laptop works fine, So i played
> a *.mpg file using VLC, it only got video, but no audio, why is it so?
>
> "vlc -vvv *.mpg"

Try to view the webcam locally.

> One last Q's about my web cam driver, from the web, it said that
> "pwc.o" is the driver that support my webcam, and of cos, it was
> embedded already in RH9.0 ( i don;t need to install ), but i want to
> know, how can i adjust the settings on my webcam , like resolution,
> image size, etc )

Either by providing them on the commandline of /sbin/modprobe pwc.o
option1=value1 option2=value2 (see the documentation of pwc kernel
module). Or through the v4l interface, in which case VLC should take
care of this for you. This is the first part in your vlc commandline
(the v4l:// part).

> Pls help me to fix it~

Gladly ;-)

Greetings,