[vlc] Re: problem with vlc streaming!

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sun Nov 23 10:24:19 CET 2003

Chi Hung Leung wrote:

> I have tried to view the webcam locally first with the following command:
>
> vlc -vvv
> v4l:/dev/video0:norm=secam:frequency=543250:size=240x320:channel=0
>
> it works! ( video0 refer to my webcam )

Well done! This is the first step ...

> however when i add the following at the end of the command line
>
> ":adev=/dev/dsp:audio=0", the vlc can't load the webcam properly, what
> 's wrong?

Do you have the sound configured for your laptop? Could you please send
the vlc logging?

> i only know this part is referring to my laptop's audio device, what
> should i do?
>
> Also, ( i ignore the audio part first ), i try to stream the webcam to
> my iPAQ usnig the following command
>
> vlc -vvv
> v4l:/dev/video0:norm=secam:frequency=543250:size=240x320:channel=0
>
> --sout '#transcode
> {vcodec=mpvg,acodec=mpga,vb=1024,ab=128,vt=800000,keyint=80,deinterlace}:std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=10.0.0.3}'
> --ttl 12

I think you mean vcodec=mpgv ;-)

> Of cos, no sound again! Also, i found that the video on the iPAQ is
> not very stable, i haev seen "my face" on the iPAQ, but it seems got
> hang! I have tried to change those figures to see if there is any help
> on the quality of the video, but seems not really useful..............
> what can i do? Also, no matter how i change the size (e.g.
> size=240x320), the image size is FIXED, only the frame bounding the
> image was changed according to my setting. So, how can i make the
> image larger?

You could do the following:
1) Obeserve the bandwith e.g: with iptraf, because I suspect that either
the encoding is taking too long or the bandwidth occupation is to large
for your WLAN link.
2) Use another video codec, e.g: vcodec=huffyuv (CVS-only)

Well Gary there is no need to make the image larger, because the iPaq
cannot display it anyway. It got a screen size of 240x320.

Grtz,
Jean-Paul Saman
VLC iPaq maintainer.