[vlc] Failed dependencies...again

Les LaZar llazar at zoltech.com
Mon Nov 24 02:30:12 CET 2003

Greetings all,

I am still trying, unsuccessfully, to install vlc (0.6.1-1) on my Via C3-based system under Linux.

At the advice of this list, I upgraded my Linux from Red Hat 8 to Red Hat 9 (kernel 2.4.20-19.9).  Then I placed the Red Hat vlc package into /tmp/vlc-files and ran: rpm -U *.rpm

It reported only one failed dependency this time:  libasound.so.2  (this is some progress; under Red Hat 8 I got three missing files reported <wan smile>).

So I got the alsa 0.9.6 package into /tmp/ALSA-FIles and did the ./configure, make, make install, and ./snddevices without apparent error.  Also modified /etc/module.conf with all the alias commands specified in the Via audio driver app note.  The sound appears to work.  Detect sound card functions as does xawtv.  The system will also play audio CD's using CD Player.

Tried to rpm the vlc package again with the same result...missing the libasound.so.2 file.  A file search starting at / reports no file found.

Once again I am stumped.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Les