[vlc] vlc 0.7 beta 1 problem Re: Re: AAC and TS transport stream playback problem

psme 27c2home at hknet.com
Thu Nov 27 20:47:55 CET 2003

Hi,

Just tried the vlc 0.7 beta1 on my WinXP box.

Now it plays Japanese BSD HDTV ts file, well, sort of.

I uploaded 8 short ts clips on to the vlc FTP server back in Sep. (hope they
are still there, otherwise I can upload them again)

6 clips out of the 8 ts files play with both correct picture and sound (AAC
decoding).

The 2 problem clips are ts file BSFUJI.ts and BS-i.ts These 2 problem clips
are both in 1440x1080i format. (out of the total 7 HDTV channel of BSD, 2
are in 1440x1080i and 5 are in the usual 1920x1080i format)

When playing these two problem clips, vlc will display a correct picture for
a while (a few seconds) with NO sound (though the Audio menu correctly show
it has a aac track) then just crash (WinXP give a error that "vlc has
encounter a error...")

Then I tried use TSDemux to demux these two 1440x1080i ts clips. And both
demuxed .m2v files play fine in vlc with correct picture. Also both the
demuxed .aac file play fine with correct sound.

So vlc can certainly plays both picture and sound in these two 1440x1080i ts
clips. Maybe the ts demux function need some work.

Also on the 2 ts clips with multi-channel AAC track, it seems vlc still
mis-match the correct channel sequence (center channel output as LEFT
channel) as I reported back in Sep. But maybe this is more a FAAD problem
than a vlc bug.

If anyone needs I can upload more BSD ts sample. It's a GREAT advance since
last version! Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

PS: a feature request: if possible, please add a option to press-through AAC
as raw bit-stream for external decoding (like AC3/DD). Almost all surround
processor now sell in Japan can decode AAC stream.