[vlc] WinTv PVR 250 ivtv compilation problem

Psycho Ph degreane at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 01:53:25 CEST 2003

Good day guys ....

Today I had my winTv pvr250 and thats good for my
video editing scheme ......   it works just fine and
smooth with windows 98 and xp .....

What I need is a help compiling the modules under
linux.... I know the drivers got to do nothing with
VLC but the recomendation of VLC project was to use
this card  so I think you might help me with it .....

I downloaded the cvs tarball from ivtv and compiled it
as the said in the documentation and tried to load the
modules , unfortunately there's something missing in
the modules which says :
insmod ivtv.o
ivtv.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

I checked the dmesg and here's some output of it
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver
#0 (0x10005)
saa7114.c: detecting saa7114 client on address 0x42
saa7115.c: writing init values
status: (1E) 0x48, (1F) 0xc0
i2c-core.o: client [saa7115[1]] registered to adapter
[ivtv i2c driver #0](pos.
2).
i2c-core.o: adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 registered as
adapter 1.
Unable to open '/lib/modules/ivtv-fw-enc.bin'.
ivtv: failed loading encoder firmware
ivtv: Error loading firmware!
ivtv: Error initializing.
ivtv: Error -12 on init
ivtv: Error detecting PCI card
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
address e0adf038
 printing eip:
e0ab8ccd
*pde = 015f3067
*pte = 00000000
Oops: 0000
CPU:    0
EIP:    0010:[<e0ab8ccd>]    Not tainted
EFLAGS: 00013286

 can anyone tell me what is
/lib/modules/ivtv-fw-enc.bin and how to workaround it

Many thanks
F. B.