[vlc] Re: problems installing VLC on Red Hat Linux

Paul Allen allenp at nwlink.com
Fri Oct 24 06:22:59 CEST 2003

Itsik Boger wrote:
> I have problem installing VLC on a Red Hat Linux platform with Gnome 2.
> I would appreciate you help in sorting out what I am doing wrong.
>
> I have downloaded the vlc rpm package (version 0.6.2-2) and the required
> libraries and codecs as specified in the VideoLan web site.
> I installed the different libraries and codecs first (using rpm -U xxx.rpm)
> Then When I tried to install the vlc-0.6.2-2.i386.rpm package, I get the
> following error messages:
> *" error: Failed dependencies:
>         libart_lgpl.so.2 is needed by vlc-0.6.2-2
>         libgnome.so.32 is needed by vlc-0.6.2-2
>         libgnomesupport.so.0 is needed by vlc-0.6.2-2
>         libgnomeui.so.32 is needed by vlc-0.6.2-2
> "
>
> *What is wrong in my installation procedure?
>
> I was able to install the same VLC on another Red Hat Linux 9 machine,
> but with Gnome 1.
> I guess that there is a rpm missing but I can't understand which one.

For each of those libraries, "rpm -q --whatprovides" on my RH9 box
says "gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-32".  If you don't have the Gnome libraries
installed, that's your problem.  If you've got some other version and
are adventurous, you could try installing vlc with --nodeps.  If that
results in an installation that doesn't work, you'll likely have to
build from source.

Good luck!

Paul Allen