[vlc] Re: VLC and Windows Media Player 9

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Tue Oct 28 09:40:52 CET 2003

Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

> Trung Tin MAI wrote:
>
>> Dir Sir,
>>
>> I would link to use VLC as a Video Stream Server and  Windows Media
>> Player 9 as a Client.
>> I can use VLC (Windows), it run well, but WMP9 not run.
>> Please help me to use LVC with WMP9.
>

> You need to find the correct plugins for WMP9 that support reading
> from a networked source. Unfortunately I do not know a link for this,
> so you'll have to google yourself for it (www.google.com).

AFAIK, this has to be an ASF stream unless someone has figured out
something else that works.
The ffserver part of ffmpeg (ffmpeg.sourceforge.net) could stream ASF at
least back in May,
it may be broken now. Otherwise, WMP9 wants to do progressive download,
which isn't
possible from a live stream. (or else it wants a proprietary Microsoft
server, unless someone
reverse-engineered the server protocol)