[vlc] Re: Center channel of AC3 5.1 soundtracks lost in stereo downmix?

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Thu Oct 30 13:39:27 CET 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003, Reid Fosa wrote :
> 1) Center channel lost when downmixing an AC3 5.1 channel to stereo?

This is a known issue, no down-mix is done when transcoding AC3, we just
keep "side channels". This  has to be fixed... but is qui  hard to do, I
think...

> 3) Accelerated transcoding

Well, this hasn't been implemented since  the main purpose of VLC is not
to convert movies to files (although this is possible) Other program can
do  that better  as we  do.  The prurpose  of transcoding  is mainly  to
convert a  stream to  a lower  bitrate, so  that it  can be  streamed on
(roughly) all kind of network.

--
$(echo "BigBen")

Oui je quote, et alors ?