[vlc] Re: Problem installing videolan on RH8

Jason Luka jason at geshp.com
Tue Sep 2 15:07:22 CEST 2003

Les LaZar wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am trying to install vlc (0.6.1-1.i386.rpm) into my RedHat 8 Linux
> system
> (kernel 2.4.18-14).
>
> I copied the rpm package, including all of the libraries and codecs to
> /usr/src/videolan/vlc on my system, made that the current directory
> and ran
> rpm -U *.rpm (as root) as directed by the HowTo.  The operation aborted
> after displaying a list of failed dependences that consisted of three
> unique
> files:
> libXv.so.1, libpthread.so.0 and libasound.so.2.
>
> I did a web search and found rpm's that seemed to contain the missing
> libs:
> XFree86-4.3.0-2.src.rpm (for libXv)
> glibc-2.3.2-11.9.src.rpm (for libpthread)
> alsa-lib-0.9.6.tar.bz2
>
> I installed the alsa drivers, appartently successfully (the snd*
> modules now
> appear in lsmod) and tried the vlc install again (expecting that the
> libasound dependency to go away).  Unfortunately, I got the same result as
> before...the same list of failed dependencies, including libasound.
>
> I installed the other lib rpms (without any obvious problem) and tried to
> install vlc, again with the same set of failed dependencies.
>
> I then did a file search on my system:
> libasound.so.2 is present in /usr/lib
> libpthread.so.0 is present in /lib
> libXv.so.0 is still missing, but libXv.a is present in .usr/X11R6/lib
>
> I am stumped. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Les

I never made a binary release of 0.6.1 specifically for Red Hat 8, but I
can probably help you out.

RPM makes a database of files you installed through the RPM program.  So
if you compiled it manually, instead of using a binary RPM its not going
to show up in the database and RPM is going to think you didn't install
it.  And from the looks of it, you may need to be using the binary RPMs
instead of the src for XFree86 and glibc.  Look for the ones that end in
.i386.rpm.  Since you installed alsa-lib manually, you can probably
bypass RPM's conflict checker by using

rpm -U *.rpm --nodeps

Jason Luka
Red Hat Maintainer