[vlc] ALSA audio output bug?

Sebastien Fievet sebastien.fievet at free.fr
Tue Sep 9 21:22:43 CEST 2003

Hi,

   I come back for my recurrent problem with ALSA support in VLC.
The changelog for VLC-0.6.2 was really teasing (at least for me) : ALSA
multi-channel audio output fixed and tested !! So i decided to compile it.

But the result is strictly the same as with previous versions of the player :
Using the ALSA audio plugin :
   1- after about 10 minutes of DVD playback, VLC dies with a core dump.
   2- after about 3 mins of divX playback, VLC dies with a core dump.
Using the esd plugin (esd driving the ALSA device) :
   1- dvd playback smooth apart from a small desynchro between audio and video.
   2- divX definitely unwatchable : the video is jerky, more than 30% of  the
frames are discarded, and the sound is like affected by reverberation.

   I have been told earlier by Sigmund Augdal to use the OSS compatibilty layer
of ALSA instead. But i really don't feel like adding devices descriptors for
OSS, recompiling the ALSA drivers, libs and add OSS compat lib, for a single
app!

Can someone fix the ALSA module? Please!!!... Or am i the only one out there
trying to use the VLC with  ALSA?

Regards, Sebastien.