[vlc] Re: ALSA audio output bug?

Sebastien Fievet sebastien.fievet at free.fr
Wed Sep 10 23:14:50 CEST 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:33:41 +0200
Benjamin PRACHT <bigben at via.ecp.fr> wrote:

> Well,
>
> I'm using 0.9.6 and the version included in the 2.6.0 test4 kernel.

I am using ALSA (driver+lib) 0.9.5 and kernel 2.4.20.
I recently upgraded from 0.9.2 hoping it could help me, but it doesn't...

> However, looks as if I talked a little bit too fast. I just checked, and
> it looks as  if I had been useing  the alsa aout for a  while (must have
> erased my pref file once, and not modified this setting again), whithout
> any problem... So, it seems to work, sorry ;-)

But for me it does not. ;-)
I run xmms-1.2.7 and xawtv-3.86 with ALSA without any problem.
This issue i am experiencing with the VLC is strictly repeatble, from one
playback to the next for a given video source.
   By the way, i am used to  compiling with  :
   CFLAGS = CXXFLAGS = -O3 -march=k6-2 (with gcc 3.2.2)
Could it be a compilation related issue?

> However, 5.1  still doesn't  work for  me, on  an integrated  sound card
> (Nfroce2 chipset,  intel8x0 module). Perhaps driver  doesn't support 5.1
> for these cards...

Don't worry about that! My good old sb16 doesn't understand 5.1 anywway :-)