[vlc] Re: vlc install under Red Hat, failed dependencies

Les LaZar llazar at zoltech.com
Fri Sep 12 03:01:54 CEST 2003

Jason,

I had the same problem described below earlier this month and you responded
with the same suggestion:  Use --nodeps.

I have now tried this under RH8 with the kernel updated to 2.4.20-19.9.

The rpm command ran without error (only a warning about the security key).

I entered the command vlc (with no switches) at the root prompt and got the
error message:

    vlc: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by
vlc)

This file was in the list of failed dependencies.  In my system, file search
shows this file located in /lib.  Once again, I am baffled.  What should I
do to correct this (and the other "missing" files that I expect to show up,
that are not really missing.)?

Also, for testing purposes, when I get vlc running, is it possible to
acquire a video image from a locally connected camera (plugged into a
Hauppauge WinTV-Go card which works under xawtv) and display it on the local
monitor?  If so, how?  The manual only describes setting up streaming.  Can
I have the streaming server and client running simultaneously on the same
machine?  Needless to say, since I couldn't locate any vlc files after the
rpm command ran, neither could I locate the ./configure file to
add --enable-v4l to activate video input.

Ultimately, I want to send live video and audio from one system to a second
system (Unicast?) over a wireless LAN (802.11b or g).  Is VideoLAN an
appropriate application for this task?

Thanks for your assistance.

Les