[vlc] Re: streaming IEEE1394 on a MacOSX

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Fri Sep 12 18:03:55 CEST 2003

Hi there,

Well if you are lucky, then there is a device in /dev that represent
the firewire device.
you might be able to use the following commandline in the OSX Terminal:
cat /dev/devicename | ./VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --sout udp:  (or
however you want to stream)

So if it is possible then it's like this.
The OS X version doesn't have support yet for the more general
streaming API's which all programs on OSX use for accessing Video
devices.

But i think you are better off with either VLC for windows (cvs
development version) or the linux one.
Be sure to let us know about your results. We'd love to hear about your
results, since i think this is something very few people have tried to
do so far.

You might try the chat:
http://www.videolan.org/cgi-bin/irc/irc.cgi
If you have any more questions

DJ

On vrijdag, sep 12, 2003, at 15:58 Europe/Amsterdam, Valery Roche wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I want to stream a DV cam with videolan on MacOSX (I tried with a
> RedHat, but I don't have the time to find how to install FireWire on a
> PC : I need a working system for next monday.. Hmm well, ok).
>
> So I thought taht the DV will be recognized under OS X : that's true.
> But what is the name of the IEEE1393 device ??
>  And could someone point me on a web page that explain how to stream
> this IEEE1394 device with videolan ??
>
> Tahnks in advance,
> Valéry

---