[vlc] Wireless VideoLAN?

Ben Green at System Control ben at bettercode.com
Tue Sep 23 12:57:03 CEST 2003

Hello List,

I have been experimenting with VLC and VLS over the past week and I'm very
impressed.

Over 100Mbit networks I can stream anything. I am looking to get this
working over wireless networks, 11Mbit (4Mbit streams should be possible at
this rate I think). Our client connected to multicast stream which was
about 2Mbit/s but the sound was choppy, though when the same machine
connected via ethernet it could process the stream fine. I found this post:

http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc/200305/msg00125.html

on the archives, it was helpful and it gave me some food for thought, but
didn't give me what I needed. It seems that although streams are quoted at
2Mbit/s or whatever, they often peak much much higher. I will need a stream
that doesn't peak like that.

Has anyone here got an idea how this could be achieved, or any other tips
that might solve our wireless distribution problem? What has anyone else
achieved with wireless technology?

--

.:# Ben Green at System Control #:.