[vlc] Re: no suitable decoder module

Romain Valabregue romain.valabregue at snv.jussieu.fr
Tue Sep 30 08:39:49 CEST 2003

Benjamin PRACHT wrote:

>This  format should  be handdled  either by  the ffmpeg  or by  the xvid
>module. Are you sure they are installed  ? (which OS are you using ? Are
>you using a self compiled or a packaged version of VLC ?)

Helo

I tried vlc under windows, and it works very good (I can read
the divx). But I also tried uder free BSD where
I instal it from the ports (portinstall)
and under BSD I get the mesage,

no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

I am always surprised, with the difficulty to install software under
bsd. Why is it so easy (and almost always working) under windows ?
I find it is bad news for free system (bsd).

A free software should encourage free platform, shouldn't it?

I know it is not an easy job, but I hope things will get better, and
installation would become as easy as under windows.

Any way thanks for doing great free software.

chears

romain