[vlc] embedding vlc into another app

Dr M Price marc.price at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 15:38:14 CEST 2004

Hi All,

I'm a newbie with vlc.  I'm currently developing an application which
uses a 3D game engine to create 3D worlds with embedded video, audio,
etc.  I'm currently using a winTV card, with a v4l based interface.
This runs in a separate thread, passing frames of video to the main
application when requested.  I'd like to replace this with a thread
which has most of the vlc functionality (it doesn't need the UI, but
there would obviously need to be a program-level interface), so that
it passes frames of video and audio to the main app when requested.

Is this feasible?  Do I need to hack into the vlc code?  Or is there
a straight-forward top-level class already there that I can use to do
all of this?

TIA
Marc

--
Dr Marc Price
Senior R&D Engineer
Tadworth,                       email: Marc.Price at rd.bbc.co.uk
Surrey  KT20 6NP                Fax: +44 (0)1737 839665