[vlc] Re: DVB?

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Apr 19 11:40:29 CEST 2004

Jan Ekholm wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Has anyone recently managed to get DVB stuff working with 0.7.1? I've been
> fighting with Videolan and DVB for a few weeks now (no kidding) without a
> single successful tuning. At first I tried vls, but it is clearly an
> unmaintained dead end, and it was suggested on IRC that vlc is the way to
> go now.
>
> I've tried a lot to get the tuning to work, but can't seem to get a
> frontend lock and/or a successful tuning. I've tried according to these
> docs:
>
> 	http://www.linux.com/howtos/VideoLAN-HOWTO/x818.shtml
>
> I use a Hauppauge Nexus full featured DVB-s card, and it works just fine
> with other apps such as xawtv and dvbstream. I've tried to do things like:
>
> 	% vlc -vvvv dvb:1212551000:1:9:22000000

You need linuxtv-1.0.x drivers on Linux 2.4.x kernels or a Linux 2.6.x
kernel for this to work. The dvb access input uses v4l2 API.

Could you use the other syntax:

vlc -vvvv dvb:frequency=1254996200:polarization=h:fec=9:srate=22000000

(also :program=xx is supported).

> The result is this:
>
> 	http://www.infa.abo.fi/~chakie/media/vlc.log

Could you try a vlc -vvv dvb:12551000:1:9:22000000 --probe ?
It probes the frontend for the right values.

> Clearly it finds the frontend and even finds a signal, but doesn't seem to
> get a lock?

Why is the question? I find that strange could you do the same test with
a restarted computer, without tuning with dvbstream first? And send me
the log (or provide a link to it).

> A strace from the same execution is here:
>
> 	http://www.infa.abo.fi/~chakie/media/vlc.strace

Confirms the fact that there is no lock. Usually it means wrong values
have been provided for tuning or the default values for lnb-lof1,
lnb-lof2 and lnb-slof are wrong.

> What could be missing and/or wrong? Clearly a project as old, mature and
> famous as Videolan should be easier to get up and running that this?
>

> When I use dvbstream for the same channel I get what I want:
>
> % dvbstream -f 12551 -p v -s 22000 -v 171 -a 172 -ps
> dvbstream v0.5 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001-2004
> Released under the GPL.
> Latest version available from http://www.linuxstb.org/
> Using DVB card "STV0299/TSA5059/SL1935 based"
> tuning DVB-S to L-Band:0, Pol:V Srate=22000000, 22kHz=off
> polling....
> Getting frontend event
> FE_STATUS:
> polling....
> Getting frontend event
> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
> FE_HAS_SYNC
> Event:  Frequency: 12549962

This is a different frequency then applied on tuning with VLC and on
this dvbstream commandline.

>         SymbolRate: 22000000
>         FEC_inner:  5
>
> Bit error rate: 15360
> Signal strength: 46720
> SNR: 54333
> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_CARRIER
> Setting filter for PID 171
> Setting filter for PID 172
> Using 224.0.1.2:5004:2
> version=2
> Streaming 2 streams
> Audiostream: Layer: 2  BRate: 192 kb/s  Freq: 48.0 kHz
> Videostream: ASPECT: 4:3  Size = 480x576  FRate: 25 fps  BRate: 3.90
> Mbit/s
>

> Here I have to give the audio and video pids too, but it was said that vlc
> doesn't need those, nor is the --program parameter needed, it should just
> be able to figure out everything once the tuning works and the DVB meta
> data starts flowing.

VLC needs to know the program at some point either supplied on the
commandline or selected from an interface menu.

Even VLS needs the program, but it uses strings (e.g: like "VIVA") for
tuning.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman