[vlc] Re: DVB?

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Tue Apr 20 23:14:04 CEST 2004

Jan,

The new logs gave me a hint in which direction I have to search. Indeed
like suspected there is an error related to the parameters given on the
dvb:// commandline. Now I have to figure out where the error exactly is,
so please bare with me.

Jan Ekholm wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>

>>You need linuxtv-1.0.x drivers on Linux 2.4.x kernels or a Linux 2.6.x
>>kernel for this to work. The dvb access input uses v4l2 API.
>>

>So 1.1.1 would not work? I use a 2.6 kernel with the drivers from
>linuxtv.org (not the included drivers). Works ok with other apps. No
>compilation problems when compiling vlc.

The 1.1.1 drivers should work. What happened your situation is that the
frequency 12551000 is bigger then the max_frequency given in the driver.
The scary thing is it only showed up when using the new syntax. Fix 1:
the old syntax will be declared obsolete in SVN.

See these log lines from
http://www.infa.abo.fi/~chakie/media/vlc-probe.log:

[00000173] dvb input warning: DVB Input syntax has changed, please see documentation for further informations
[00000173] dvb input warning: invalid frequency 12551000 (KHz), using default one
[00000173] dvb input error: invalid default frequency

In what unit is the frequency ? MHz, kHz, Hz ??

>>Could you use the other syntax:
>>
>>vlc -vvvv dvb:frequency=1254996200:polarization=h:fec=9:srate=22000000
>>
>>(also :program=xx is supported).

This one is even bigger, but that is probably my mistake (the wrong
scale) ;-(.

>>Could you try a vlc -vvv dvb:12551000:1:9:22000000 --probe ?
>>It probes the frontend for the right values.
>>

>The log output for that is here:
>
>	http://www.infa.abo.fi/~chakie/media/vlc-probe.log

Could you do the same test with the attached patch (untested)? I found
some bugs in the frontend debug output.

>>>Clearly it finds the frontend and even finds a signal, but doesn't seem to
>>>get a lock?
>>>

>>Why is the question? I find that strange could you do the same test with
>>a restarted computer, without tuning with dvbstream first? And send me
>>the log (or provide a link to it).
>>

>I don't see the problem? The question referred to me not being exactly
>sure what was wrong, i guessed it didn't get a lock. The above logs are
>from a freshly restarted machine, only the drivers have been loaded, no
>other DVB application has been executed.

Indeed I did not know what exactly was wrong in your case, because the
logging did not say anything about the frequency to tune to being larger
then the max allowed frequency for the DVB-S card. The explantion could
be the frequency is given in the wrong unit? Or VLC dvb input code is
doing something wrong? Or both of course ;-)

>>Confirms the fact that there is no lock. Usually it means wrong values
>>have been provided for tuning or the default values for lnb-lof1,
>>lnb-lof2 and lnb-slof are wrong.
>>

>These are parameters I have never stumbled upon. Could you kindly point me
>towards some RTFM resource?

Actually you probably don't want to know this but the lnb-lof1, lnb-lof2
and lnb-slof have to do with how the PLL register on the tuning chip has
to be programmed.  They influence the antenna.

>>>Here I have to give the audio and video pids too, but it was said that vlc
>>>doesn't need those, nor is the --program parameter needed, it should just
>>>be able to figure out everything once the tuning works and the DVB meta
>>>data starts flowing.
>>>

>>VLC needs to know the program at some point either supplied on the
>>commandline or selected from an interface menu.
>>

>Ok, but that is clearly a later problem. Without a signal lock there are
>no programs to receive.

Correct, so were going to solve the first point  ;-)

--

Many greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman

Consultant
VLC iPAQ maintainer                    http://www.videolan.org
RedHat Certified Engineer         RHCE number: 807202745005548