[vlc] Re: VLC Playlist Options with Dummy Interface

Pranjal Dutta (prdutta) prdutta at cisco.com
Tue Aug 10 14:56:28 CEST 2004

Hi Benjamin,
           Now I did # vlc --intf dummy udpstream:@224.1.0.1:1234, thus
without giving the source address (IGMPv2)and it plays the multicast
stream. VLC also plays well if I give #vlc -intf dummy udp:224.1.0.1:1234.

            When I tried with source address 10.77.138.207 included as
follows #vlc -vv udpstream:10.77.138.207 at 224.1.0.1:1234 then, VLC starts
but doesn't play anything. I tried the experiment both in my windows 2000
and RedHat Linux(2.4.20 Kernel version). The verbose option hasn't thrown
out any message.

             Basically the aim of my experiment is as follows:
1. First, I need to start VLC in CLI mode with # vlc --intf dummy --quiet

2. Then I need to build the playlist in CLI mode itself by adding items one
by one. I tried to use #vlc --enqueue udpstream:<Source><Multicast
Add>:<port> but VLC says "enqueue option not loaded". May be I am wrong in
the syntax. Each playlist item has to receive Multicast Streams through
IGMPv3, so I have to filter streams as per source addresses.

3. Then I should be able to play any playlist item by selection through CLI
commands

               Now the above 3 steps, I am able to do through GUI. Because
when I start VLC I can add MRL(to receive Multicast Streams) to the
playlist and then I can select any one to play with the same instance of VLC.
              Any info to implement this will be of great help.

Thanks,
Pranjal