[vlc] Re: Network stream freezes after a few sec

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Fri Aug 13 18:37:11 CEST 2004

Dermot,

You are right to ask all these questions. They may help me
figure out if I am doing something wrong.

> Come on now, you'd have to check a few things:
>
> (i)   format of the source stream. Likely to be ok, because
> it probably plays fine from hard drive.

It is a MPEG-PS file encoded at 6Mbps. It plays perfectly when
played locally.

> (ii)  efficiency of cabling, switches, hubs etc.. if the ping
> times are low, this can be ruled out.

The two PCs are connected through a 100 Mbps Ethernet hub. No other
PCs are connected to this hub.

> (iii) efficiency of the TCP/IP stack on the receiver. This is
> a hornets nest of possible problems. But it would be possible to
> measure latency between the interrupt for the network port and the
time
> that the packet arrives for processing by the application.

TCP/IP is not involved in this particular setup. The network cards are
hooked up USB 2.0 and I am using a serial USB driver to pick up packets
from the network and pass them on to vlc. I have an application that
gets the packets and uses 'fwrite' to write to a pipe that feeds that
data to vlc via stdin. I hope that makes sense.

> (iv)  efficiency of the program. Is there latency introduced
> within the player.

I want to try and see if buffering a couple of seconds of data in
vlc makes things better. Is there a way to enable buffering via
the command line?

> To find out the source of this problem, experimentation is
> exactly what would be needed, ruling things out as you go ..

I agree. I think using the right combination of all the options
vlc has will probably solve the problem. I just to find which ones
will help.

Thanks,
Harshal