[vlc] Re: CDDA stream not created. Need to transcode?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Thu Aug 19 10:32:02 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 15:40, Artiom Neganov wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I try to stream off cdda over lan but it looks like local vlc can't
>   create stream. I use this command:
>
>   #> vlc -I dummy cdda://f: --sout "#std{acces=udp,url=192.168.7.5}"
>
>   and nothing heared on 192.168.7.5 machine. (I can't insert here
>   vlc output since I'm at another machine)
>
>   But this works:
>
>   #> vlc -I dummy cdda://f: --sout
"#transcode{acodec=mpg2,ab=128}:std{acces=udp,url=192.168.7.5}"

>   (if spelling of this line is correct)
>
>   Can I stream cdda without transcoding? I know its not very good idea to
stream
>   uncompressed data, I'm just interesting.

You can't stream uncompressed data with VLC. Not that it wouldn't be
possible or even complicated to implement, but it is so useless that nobody
has cared to implement support for it.
If you want maximum quality, you could stream in http using the Flac codec
in an Ogg container.

--
Gildas