[vlc] Re: [vlc] Re: RTP and H264 video format

Hussain Ali Pardawalla hussain at mytum.de
Thu Aug 19 16:31:46 CEST 2004

--- Rémi_Denis-Courmont  wrote:

> > 3. Is it possible to view files being streamed by
> a Darwin server,
> > over RTP. From what I have been able to
> understand, the Darwin server
> > sends the video info using RTSP, but the video
> data using RTP. VLC
> > seems to have an option for either RTSP or
> UDP/RTP. Is it possible to
> > enable both these options.
>
> It should, yes.

Thanks for the reply. Could please enlighten me as to how I might go about enabling both rtp and rtsp options together. I usually work from the gui, so am completely unfamilar with the command line commands.

Also, I have another question regarding the playback of a h264 video file. The files I have can be played back using ffplay, if the h264 option is forced. e.g. ffplay -f h264 ipOnlytest_6th.264. However when I tried playing the same file with VLC, using /h264:/ipOnlytest_6th.264 in the open MRL option in the gui , VLC gave me a black screen. Using the lastest snapshot of VLC, I was able to get the first frame, but no play back as such. Since VLC uses ffmepg codecs, I figured if I could force VLC to use the ffmpeg codes, telling it I specifically want to encode/decode a H264 file, (as I did with ffplay), I should be able to get it to play the h264 file. Would you be able to tell me how I could go about doing this in VLC. Would i need to go into the code to be able to do this. If this is the case can you give me hints where in the code I would need to look at.

Thanks for all the help.

Hussain