[vlc] VLC and Hauppauge PVR-350

Daniel Lawson daniel at wand.net.nz
Mon Aug 23 06:58:50 CEST 2004

I'm having some issues using vlc to send video captured off a hauppauge
pvr-350 across the network. Basically, the MPEG-2 stream coming off the
card uses too much bandwidth, and I need to transcode it to MPEG-4 (or
perhaps WMV or similar) at a much lower bitrate.

I've used the following command lines, without any success:

# read from the pvr at /dev/video0, and output to 10.1.18.163
vlc
pvr:/dev/video0:norm=pal:size=720x576:bitrate=3000000:maxbitrate=4000000
--sout udp:10.1.18.163

# read from the pvr at /dev/video0, transcode to 1024kbit MPEG-4, and
output to 10.1.18.163
vlc
pvr:/dev/video0:norm=pal:size=720x576:bitrate=3000000:maxbitrate=4000000
--sout
'#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1024,deinterlace}:standard{access=udp,mux=ts,url=10.1.18.163:1234}'

I've been running vlc 0.7.2, configured with --enable-pvr and
--enable-ffmpeg.

What I can do is the following:

I can cat the video device to a file, and verify that capture off the
card is working.
I can stream this file, either using vlc or vls, to a remote machine.
I can transcode this file to MPEG-4, and then stream using vlc.

I can stream directly off the card if I use vls, and I can then read
this stream into vlc, transcode, and send it back out again. However, I
get intermittent segfaults, but that's perhaps another issue.

What I can't do, and what seems like it should be well supported, is use
vlc to read off the card directly.

Any thoughts?

I'll paste output from vlc -vvv if anyone wants it. There were no
obvious error messages.

Daniel

--
Daniel Lawson