[vlc] Re: HDTV Transport Streams (.ts) and Performance

Manu Abraham manu at kromtek.com
Sun Dec 5 07:20:38 CET 2004

On Sat December 4 2004 4:32 pm, Benjamin PRACHT wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 2004, Galen wrote :
> > I was just thinking here, what about somehow repackaging (but not
> > re-encoding) the stream to play in the Apple DVD Player? I pulls some
> > magic with MPEG2 decoding, thanks to some sort hardware assist and/or
> > amazing optimization. For comparison, my old laptop, an iBook, would
> > play DVDs perfectly with Apple DVD Player. Something like 30-40% of the
> > CPU. Yet not a single DVD would play smoothly with VLC or other similar
> > media players. Higher data rate discs and scenes faired the worst with
> > alternate players, yet not a single skip ever happened with Apple's
> > player. I've seen this phenomenon repeated over and over on many Macs.
>
> Yeah, Apple DVD player can use the hardware iDCT routines of graphic
> cards. VLC cannot do that, since we lack the specifications of these
Benjamin,

The company were i used to work earlier developed an application that
harnesses the features of the "NVIDIA" cards. This application was on
Windows, though an OpenGL application, if you are interested maybe i could
give you his contact.. though i was never into the development of that, maybe
he could give you a few pointers, if i am correct..

Manu