[vlc] Re: Dependics

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Sun Dec 5 11:28:24 CET 2004

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004, Bernt Hjartland wrote :
> Hello
>
> I have tried to install VLC on a Linux Redhat-machine. But VLC seem to
> depend on very many thing.
>
> My machine is a "clean server": No soundcard, no gnome, no fashion. So, i
> wonder if You have a list of what VLC depends on?
> -I want to try to use VLC to stream to a website. I don't want to play and
> "enjoy" mediafiles on the server. Is that not possible?

That should be possible (I cannot tell anything more without knowing
exactly what you want to do).

About VLC dependancies, I'm afraid you'll have to compile VLC by hand if
you don't want to be compelled to install a X server, alsa, gtk,
wxwindows, etc... (VLC works very fine from command line, but packages
usually include a gui, and then have dependancies on such libraries).

Please have a look at the *nix compile howto on developers.videolan.org
(when the website is up again). The amount of dependencies to compile
will depoend on what you want to do exactly (http streaming without
transcoding will require no dependency at all, transcoding will require
the corresponding decoders and encoders, ...)

--
BigBen