[vlc] Can font server affect image quality?

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Mon Dec 6 18:48:18 CET 2004

Greetings everyone.

I have a rather bizarre set of circumstances/questions concerning recent
degradation of the image quality on my vlc client in my home.  Here's my
basic setup:

Mediapc - Exporting VOB files via NFS (ReiserFS) to client

Clientpc - Accessing VOB file directly via nfs

Problem/Question:

After playing with xfs and loading lots of new fonts on my client PC I
decided to watch a movie. To my surprise, the image quality went from
excellent to okay at best...now, I notice hard edges and zigzagging
around titles and lettering.  Is this a problem with my xserver?  I
notice the same behavior in mplayer now too.  Can playing with fonts
create this type of problem?

Thanks,

Jim