[vlc] vlc-client multicast fix

Ramesh Babu srb at benchmarkgroup.com
Wed Dec 8 14:40:30 CET 2004

Hello

We noticed the following issue with vlc.

Problem:
 Multicasts started downstream of IGMP-v2/3 switches that do not  implement
enquiry polls remain unterminated, clogging bandwidth.

 Findings:
 vlc correctly calls setsockopt with IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP option in
modules/misc/network/ipv4.c to get multicast started but fails  to check for
multicast type and call IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP when  closing socket ( in
src/misc/net.c ). Unfortunately, not knowing well  the vlc structures, I am
unable to provide the code-fix.

 Shouldn't the kernel implicitly send IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP packet  on last
close of a multicast address? ( Apparently linux-v2.4.27 does not )

SRB