[vlc] AAC / HE AAC / aacPlus Audio Streams

Greg J. Ogonowski greg at orban.com
Wed Dec 15 10:03:21 CET 2004

Hello-

We currently have an AAC / HE AAC / aacPlus Streaming Encoder that works
with SHOUTcast, Icecast2, and QuickTime/Darwin servers. Since the audio
quality and performance is better than MP3 or Windows Media, allowing lower
bitrates, this will be the codec of the future, as it is already the MPEG-4
standard.

http://www.orban.com/orban/products/stream/1010_overview.html

Winamp 5.05 and above supports AAC / HE AAC / aacPlus using HTTP/ICY.
RealPlayer 10 supports AAC / HE AAC / aacPlus using RTSP/RTP.

There is a small stream directory started here:

http://www.opticodec.net

I have tested VLC with our SHOUTcast test stream at:

http://stream.orban.com:8006

It does not work.
We are using a content type of audio/aac.  This can be used to authenticate
connection and determine the filename extension of .aac.  MP3 uses
audio/mpeg and AAC / HE AAC / aacPlus uses audio/aac for SHOUTcast streams.

soma fm is streaming at:

http://war.str3am.com:7800

That stream is using an earlier beta encoder from us.  It is using a
content type of audio/aacp, which might be supported as well, but it will
more than likely go away.  They will be changing encoders within the next
few days, at which point VLC will no longer play this stream.

I have also tested VLC with our Icecast2 test stream at:

http://stream.orban.com:80/test.aac

This also does not work.
Here is a bit of information on the AAC Icecast2 streams. In order to work
with Icecast2 servers, we are currently using a content type of audio/mpeg
with a mountpoint that always ends with .aac. Looking at this, you can
determine which extension to apply to the StreamDown resultant file. We are
in the process of applying for a mime type of audio/aac. When this happens
the Icecast developers will be adding this to the server, and we will
support this content type for Icecast2 as well.  At that time, you will be
able to use .mp3 for audio/mpeg and .aac for audio/aac.

I have tested VLC with our Darwin test stream at:

rtsp://66.220.31.130:554/test.sdp

This works fine, but will not play across certain firewalls that have
difficulty with UDP.  RealPlayer is somehow able to able to play across
firewalls with UDP issues and still use UDP if desired.  I have not
investigated how.  It would be beneficial to support TCP interleaved
RTSP/RTP streams as well.  QuickTime supports this as their way around
firewalls with UDP difficulty.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Please also let me know when a new version is ready to test.
I would like to list your software as being compatible with these streams.

Thanks.
-greg.

Greg J. Ogonowski
VP Product Development