[vlc] Re: Changing Aspect ratio in fullscreen mode

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Mon Dec 20 17:55:06 CET 2004

Hi Benjamin

Thanks for the reply.

Benjamin PRACHT wrote:
>>but I can't figure out how to do it in fullscreen mode. Being able to
>>select 'Auto', '4:3', '16:9', '185:100' and '235:100' would be really
>>nice.
> The Source Aspect Ratio parametter in the preferences, video tab,
> advanced settings should also work in fullscreen.

It works, but it is not that easy to use.

   a) You need to manually enter a new value and save it and then
      restart the stream (or exit the player and start it)
   b) There is no hotkey

It would be nice if one could add a list of aspects ratios and then with a hotkey,
toggle through the list and changing the aspect ratio without restarting the
stream like Mplayer, Xine and gmp4player. They can all change their aspect ratios
while playing. I programmed it for gmp4player (its using SDL), but I'm not yet
smart enough to compile VLC (will be one day).

A default list like

     -1:-1, 0:0, 4:3, 16:9, 185:100, 235:100

where

   -1:-1 should means show as is, respecting Pixel Aspect ratio
   0:0   should means show as is, ignoring Pixel Aspect ratio
   n:m   should mean force conversion of WxH to a display geometry
         with a aspect ratio of n:m where n and m are integers grater
         than 0 usually maintaining lines (height) where possible.

and then there should be at least a hotkey to toggle through the list.
Somehow acessing this for the plugin is interesting as well.

I know you are busy, but maybe it can go onto the wishing list. It is after
all soon christmas.

Kind regards

--PMM