[vlc] transcode rate control (strict-rc) not strict enough

Nirnimesh nirnimesh at students.iiit.net
Tue Dec 21 17:33:54 CET 2004

I'm using something like:
./vlc --color   Vids/short-tumbin.avi --sout '#transcode
{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=mp4v,vt=350000,vb=200,hurry-up,noise-
reduction=10,strict=1,strict-rc,rc-buffer-size=100000000}:standard
{access=udp,mux=ts,url=172.16.5.31}'

to transcode my video and stream it to a client. However, though the
streaming is okay, I don't get a tight rate-control. I want to be able
to get more-or-less 200kbps (as specified) but instead what I get is
something like 381 kbps. If I request for a lower bitrate (say 100
kbps), I get something like 210kbps. How do I make the rate-control
tight-enough?

I've tried this with vlc-0.7.2, vlc-0.8.1, and the current CVS version
as well. Is it broken in all of them? Any other way to get a tight rate-
control, then? .. Or am I missing some parameters in the transcode
options?

../NiR