[vlc] Re: Streaming Subtitles & wmp with no video

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Thu Dec 30 16:50:25 CET 2004

Madman schrieb:

>>> I've tried to make my stream compatible with windoz media player, so
>>> I've used vcodec=div3,acodec=mp3, with mux=asf. It's perfect in VLC on
>>> the client side, but watching it with wmp I can see no video. It seems
>>> that wmp gets the video, because the bitrate is correct, (video+audio),
>>> but there is no video, only a "black" screen.
>
>> s far as i know u need to have a divx/xvid decoder installed on ur
>> client with the wmp, do u have this installed?
>
 > Of course I have. As I said it works perfectly, if I watch it with vlc
 > on the client side too. Only wmp shows no video.
 > I have every required codec installed. (In fact, I have
 > ace mega codecs pack installed)

ASF is a M$ proprietary container, and the ASF parser will not allow to
playback all kind of video streams being muxed into ASF, and therfore
its parser connecting to all existing video decoders on DirectShow ( =
WMP ).

Use 'mp43' as FourCC code instead, and your ASF files should play fine.
Bear in mind, DivX 3.11a ( FourCC : 'div3' , 'div4' ) was nothing but a
hack of M$ MPEG4V3 ( FourCC : 'mp43' ) VfW codec in the first place ;)
.... and the former can be saved in ASF container just fine.

If you still have problems, google for 'graphedit.exe' and do a 'file'
'render media' on the ASF file, then make a screenshot of the playback
graph and send it to me. Your codec pack may work nicely for DivX AVIs,
hopefully it has ffdshow or a similar powerful decoder filter installed.
The fact that your movies play fine in VLC means NOTHING in this
respect, as VLC is using his built-in decoder, and doesnt care about any
kind of DirectShow codec packs you have installed.

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org