[vlc] no audio?

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Fri Dec 31 19:56:08 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm running some tests with VLC and I'm having trouble getting audio saved
to the file.

I can play from a capture device, the audio comes out ok. I can transmit a
captured stream to another computer, via UDP, and access on the other
computer, and the sound comes out fine.

The problem is if I try to save to a file. I'll save it to a file and when I
play the file, there's no audio. I'm trying to save to a "wmv" format, using
ASF and I tried different audio codecs, but the file always comes out with
video only.

I thought perhaps VLC wasn't capturing the audio properly, but if I can hear
the audio when I play the stream on a remote PC, then the audio must be
getting transmitted... it's just saving to the file that the audio
disappears.

The parameters for saving the file:
ASF encapsulation
video codec DIV3
audio codec I tried both mpga and mp2a and mp3

But the resulting file always has no audio... :-/

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Ricardo