[vlc] Re: Compile error with latest vlc version

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 2 12:02:50 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 18:11, Brian Carrig wrote:
> I have been having trouble compiling the latest version of vlc. I am quite new to this
> so apologies if I am doing something wrong. I am running Red Hat 9 and I get the
> following errors when I compile:

No problem. First, you're not compiling, you're installing an RPM. This
means you copy some files from an RPM paket to your computer and note
the whereabouts of these files and some additional information in a
local database. For further information please read
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/part-pkg-management.html

> warning: vlc/a52dec-0.7.4-4.fr.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b
> warning: vlc/fribidi-0.10.4-4.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2

These warnings mean that the RPM files are digitally signed and you
don't have the appropriate public keys to verify the signatures
installed.

> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libkdeui.so.4 is needed by vlc-0.7.0-1
>         libkio.so.4 is needed by vlc-0.7.0-1
>         mozilla = 35:1.2.1 is needed by (installed) galeon-1.2.7-3

The critical part here is the last line. It means that the installed
mozilla version (1.2.1) is needed by galeon. To resolve this cleanly
either remove galeon with rpm -e galeon, if you don't need it. To see
what galeon is about, try rpm -qi galeon. If you want to keep it,
replace it with a version, that works with newer mozillas. You can find
those (unstable) releases at
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/galeon/galeon-1.3.10-1.i386.rpm?download

> Can any advise what I should do?

Hope this was helpful to you.