[vlc] vlc dependencies

Vikram neurospora at eastlink.ca
Sun Feb 8 04:02:31 CET 2004

Hi folks,

I am in a bit of a pickle, trying to figure out how to satisfy a dependency
of videolan player 0.7.0-1.   I have downloaded and installed most of the
requirements of the videolan player from their website
http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.7.0/rpm/rh9-fc1/vlc/ and finally when
I proceeded with installing the videolan player itself (rpm), it still
wanted mozilla and libpthread.so.0 but then I installed it with --nodeps
option.

When I try to launch vlc player from commandline, it gives following errors:

$vlc /mnt/cdrom/movie.avi
vlc: /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0: version 'GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by
vlc)
$

Then I tried to install GLIBC

#rpm -ivh glibc-2.3.2-4.80.8.i386.rpm
error:
failed dependencies:   glibc-common = 2.3.2-4.80.8 is needed by
glibc-2.3.2-4.80.8

So I tried installing glibc-common

#rpm -ivh glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.i386.rpm
error:
failed dependencies:  glibc < 2.3.2 conflicts with glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8
#

I dont have a clue how I should satisfy this dependency.  Is the conflict
because my system already has a higher version of glibc?  Any suggestions or
pointers?

Thanks.

Vikram