[vlc] Re: Adding stream targets to running vlc

Ben Buxton bb at bb.cactii.net
Mon Feb 9 11:29:36 CET 2004

> Is it possible to modify the streaming output destinations during run
> time? I've got some devices that cannot use multicast adresses, so a udp
> stream needs to be delivered straight to the device, while others
> receive the very same stream via multicast.

I do this by having one vlc send its stream to a local multicast
address, then have multiple VLCs 'mirror' that stream to other
protocols as need be.

                                __vlc---> multicast udp
                               /
 Content ---> vlc --multicast-<
                               \__vlc---> unicast udp
                                \
                                 \__vlc---> HTTP

Then just start and stop different vlc reflectors as needed.

Ideally yes, you could get one vlc process to do this, but until
that is supported, this is quite effective.

BB