[vlc] Re: vlc on redhat 8.0

Jason Luka jason at geshp.com
Tue Feb 10 21:35:47 CET 2004

Vikram wrote:

>Hello friends,
>
>Does anyone have good experience with installing vlc 0.7.0 on redhat 8.0?  I
>have had a lot of trouble doing this.  There are too many dependencies when
>I used the rpm install.  After satisfying all dependencies, I still had to
>update glibc and glibc-common and that messed up my system, I had to
>reinstall redhat 8.0.  I also tried installing vlc by compiling the source
>but make fails for a lot of applications involved.  Does anyone have any
>tips that they would like to share?
>
>Thanks
>Vikram

As far as VLC binaries go, I intentionally cut them off for Red Hat 8.0,
due to the change in XFree86 and glibc versions, so installing from
source is really the only safe way to go.  I just really can't keep all
the different versions of Linux on the same machine.  That particular
.spec file wasn't designed to be backwards compatible, but if you tell
me what errors you are getting, I may be able to help you work around that.

Jason Luka
Red Hat Maintainer