[vlc] Re: VLC Streaming from PVR problem

Tim O'Callaghan tim.ocallaghan at limestudios.com
Fri Feb 20 17:14:58 CET 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:46:55 +0100, Benjamin PRACHT <bigben at via.ecp.fr> wrote:

> Well,
>
> Your patch seems to work and has been applied to CVS. Again, is vlc able
> to display the  stream locally (if you cannot display  it on you server,
> could you use the demuxdump module) ?
>
> vlc pvr/demuxdump:/dev/video0:..... --demuxdump-file dump.mpeg
>
> This would  allow us to see  if it is  a input or stream  output related
> issue.

Ok, i've dug deeper, and i'm stumped. It seems the select on the file descriptor for the stream
in Read() never returns 1. So to all intents and purposes it never performs a read from /dev/video0

I have set O_NOBLOCK in the open() to ensure the select has something to listen for, but even
then it does not ever return 1. So removing the whole while loop in Read() and it worked.

for the moment i'm using it without the select, but if it works for some and not for others,
then maybee the problem is not the select()?

anybody have any clues?

--
Tim O'Callaghan
Senior Engineer