[vlc] Re: Help needed on win32 NSIS installer script

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Mon Feb 23 13:37:45 CET 2004

Jeremy Ardley wrote:

>>This is the installer we are already using :)
>>It is really nice, but making a good script for it still requires some
>
> work
>
>>and I must say that I don't have time to work on this myslef.
>

> oops! I thought so after I sent the email. My embarassment.
>
> I will talk to those that know about nullsoft (we use it commercially for
> our software components) perhaps I will find something useful.

I had written an update to the installer script
that worked until sometime in December I believe
and then for some reason the mime types stopped
working properly. There are probably a lot more
enhancements to be done (Zorik was going to do
this but probably got sidetracked - some of my
notes to him are listed below).

Following that is a NSIS script I put together
simply to create an "installer" to register the
Mime Types, apart from the installer that installs
VLC and plugins into its destination folder.

Look at:

Convert Registry branches into NSIS (then edit for new info, such as "see
how RealPlayer is installed, turn it into an NSIS file and change it for
Mozilla)

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/archive/nsisweb.php?page=351&instances=0,8

A plug-in for new NSIS 2 (the newest contains "Modern UI, which is required)
to let you do radio boxes, check boxes, etc. Don't know if there's a
pre-compiled
version out there or if you have Visual C++...

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Contrib/InstallOptions/
Example ini file with checkboxes, etc.
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Contrib/InstallOptions/test.ini
The ReadMe:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Contrib/InstallOptions/Readme.html

This may be already included with ModernUI, as there's a directory
under Examples for ModernUI that seems to have the Install Options
stuff in ioA.ini, ioB.ini & ioC.ini.

Also search for "Call InstallOptions" in :
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Contrib/Modern%20UI/Readme.html

OutFile ..\vlc-${VERSION}-mime.exe
SetCompressor bzip2

Name "VLC media player"
Caption "VLC '${VERSION}' for Win32 Setup"
;Icon ../share/gvlc32x32.ico

CRCCheck on

InstallDir "$PROGRAMFILES\VideoLAN\VLC"

; check if the program has already been installed, if so, take this dir
; as install dir
InstallDirRegKey HKLM SOFTWARE\VideoLAN\VLC "Install_Dir"
DirText "Choose a directory to install in to:"

AutoCloseWindow false
ShowInstDetails show

SetOverwrite ifnewer
SetDatablockOptimize on
SetDateSave off
SetCompress auto
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Install settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Section "Install"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}"
"Description" "VideoLAN VLC plugin for Mozilla"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}" "Path"
"$INSTDIR\mozilla\npvlc.dll"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}" "Product"
"VLC"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}" "Vendor"
"VideoLAN"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}" "Version"
"${VERSION}"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}" "XPTPath"
"$INSTDIR\mozilla\vlcintf.xpt"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}\MimeTypes\application/x-vlc-plugin"
"Description" "Videolan as Plug-in(*.vlc)"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}\MimeTypes\application/x-vlc-plugin"
"Suffixes" "vlp,vlq"
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}\Suffixes"
"vlp" ""
       WriteRegStr HKLM
"SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc;version=${VERSION}\Suffixes"
"vlq" ""
       WriteRegStr HKCR .vlq "Content Type" "application/x-vlc-plugin"

	Exec "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\regxpcom
$INSTDIR\mozilla\vlcintf.xpt"
	Exec "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\regxpcom"

	Exec "explorer $SMPROGRAMS\VideoLAN\"
SectionEnd