[vlc] Re: Standardised URL for media streaming ?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Feb 25 18:33:32 CET 2004

>Is there a standard way of representing URLs for streaming media sources?

Yes:
         rtsp://<server>:<port>/<streamName>
for RTSP/RTP streams (i.e., streamed from a RTSP server)

See RFC 2326 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2326.txt>.

>For example for multicast udp streams:
>
>VLC => udp://@224.168.100.64:3000
>Moonlight => moonlight://224.168.100.64:3000/udp

These are both bogus, non-standard hacks.  The big problem with 'URLs' like
this is that they don't convey enough information about the stream.  In
particular, they don't say anything about what codec(s) are being used, and
other parameters (e.g., sampling frequency) that are necessary in order for
the receiver to play the stream.  Often this information is implicit -
e.g., VLC's "udp://@" URLs will probably work only for MPEG-1 or 2
Transport or Program Streams.

Also, many streams do not just use a single UDP port; instead, they use
separate ports for audio and video.  These bogus, non-standard URLs can't
describe streams like this.  They also can't describe unicast streams that
are set up on-demand, and whose destination address (and port(s)) vary,
depending on the receiver.  To play streams like this, you need to first
communicate with the server - and that's what RTSP is for,

RTSP works by first querying the server (using a "DESCRIBE" command) to get
information (codecs, sampling frequencies, etc.) that describes the
stream.  This information is returned in a format called "SDP" ("Session
Description Protocol" - see RFC 2327).  The RTSP client (i.e., media
player) then issues RTSP "SETUP" and "PLAY" commands to start playing the
media stream.

For some streams - in particular, multicast streams - you don't need to use
RTSP to get the SDP information (because the stream's IP address and port
number is the same for all recipients).  In this case, the media player
client can just read a local SDP file instead.

Fortunately, VLC now supports both "rtsp://" URLs, and reading from local
SDP files.  (Because of this, I hope that support for non-standard hacks
like "udp://@" URLs can someday be removed.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>