[vlc] Using vlc to show video through another app

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Fri Jul 2 22:28:12 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to demonstrate streaming video over a USB serial link
and am using VLC as the media player. My application connects
to vlc via '_popen("c:\\progra~1\\videolan\\vlc\\vlc.exe -", "wb");'.

This is on WinXP, btw. Also, this is not an IP network so I can't
use VLC's native streaming capabilities.

As the application gets each packet from the serial link driver it
writes it to  vlc using 'fwrite(pkt, sizeof(char), total_bytes, hprog);
'

If I do not write to VLC and just discard the packet, everything is
fine.
However, if I try to pass the data to VLC using the 'fwrite' command,
it seems that the application is not able to pick up the data as fast as
it
arrives which causes the driver (and the hardware) to run out of receive
buffers.

Is there any other way to interface vlc to a command line app that
passes
data from a USB link to VLC?

Thanks,
Harshal