[vlc] FPS when encoding theora streams

James MacLean macleajb at ednet.ns.ca
Sat Jul 17 19:06:51 CEST 2004

Hi Everyone,

Latest VLC from SVN on Linux.

Trying to see if I would use theora/vorbis in an ogg container as an
alternative to mpeg4/mp3 in avi. Using a re-encoding command like :

vlc -v -I rc \
--sout="#transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=512,scale=0.5,acodec=vorb,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ogg,url=\"END/$BASE.ogg\"}}" \
"$IN" vlc:quit

vlc tells me that the FPS will default to 25fps. The material was NTSC
encoded at 29.970. Anyway to pass that to theora?

May only be my perception, but since the latest aspect/encoding
corrections to the Theora de/encoder, it appears to view wider then it
was/should. Just an end-user observation :).

Also, where would one suggest looking for examples of encoding command
lines such as above. I thought I use to have a bunch of samples, but can
not find them now :(. Especially ones showing the power of VLC's
transcoding.

thnxs,
JES
James B. MacLean        macleajb at ednet.ns.ca