[vlc] Re: Windows resource usage?

Jeremy Ardley jeremy at electrosilk.net
Tue Jul 27 12:36:26 CEST 2004

Gildas Bazin wrote:

>On Friday 23 July 2004 08:34, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
>
>>The source VLC has 15000 to 16000 handles. This is a lot!  Is it
>>normal?
>
>No. It is a bug which was fixed only a couple of weeks ago in the
>development version.

I have downloaded version vlc-win32-200407262322.zip

I am testing VLC multicasting using a short mpeg2 clip in a continuous loop.

I have stable GDI and User handle count on the multicast server

GDI - 203
User - 318

However the overall handle count increases by one each loop and then two
more a couple of seconds after the loop starts. I conclude there is a
minor handle leak still present.

There is also a clear slow memory leak in this configuration. Enough
that the user should consider restarting the process every few days.

On the receiving side, listening to the repeated multicasts, there is a
more pronounced memory leak. This will probably require a restart every
day or two.

I haven't been able to check on handle leaks on the receiver yet due to
the monitoring software in use