[vlc] Re: Videolan command line

Valery Roche vroche at univ-poitiers.fr
Fri Jun 4 20:53:09 CEST 2004

Benjamin PRACHT a écrit :
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004, Torsten Spindler wrote :
>
>>% vlc -vvv input_stream --sout '#duplicate{dst=
>>standard{access=udp,mux=ts,url=239.255.12.42,sap,name="TestStream"},
>>dst=standard{access=udp,mux=ts,url=192.168.1.2}}'
>>

> Yes, that's the right way to do it
>
> Just add "transcode" options before the "standardd" sections

OK, my error was I was using a copy/paste from the GUI to help me
understand th VLC syntax. I will try to understand it ;)

I suppose I need to add "transcode before _each_ "standard" sections. Am
I right ? (yes I'm right).

Many many thanks

> However, You'd better have quite a big CPU for this kind of tasks...

Well I've tried to do it by launching several VLCs under windows : it's
working with a PIV 2Gz, 512Mo. But it could explain some problems...

But I'm thinking the way it works with Real Encoder : it's capable to
encode for several targets in the same time with one process. Of course
it uses lower bitrate, but I think it's possible with VLC : I made tests
with 4 or 5 VLCs and it worked (but didn't tested it for a long time).

2 years ago, I also made some tests with ffmpeg to encode the same input
at several bitrates, or to encode several inputs in the same time. The
top comand didn't show something bad for the CPU.

Thanks again guys for your work.

Valéry