[vlc] Re: osx + 7.1 + opengl = question

db lists at drunkenbatman.com
Fri Mar 5 08:23:10 CET 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:09:50 +0100, Eric Petit wrote:
>> In the 7.1 release, there is an option to use opengl instead of
>> quicktime, and some other (nifty!) options for having it display the
>> video file on a cube, etc. Would be kinda neat if you're powering
>> monitors at a club/party or something, but I was wondering if there
>> were any other benefits to using the option? A quick glance of
>> watching VLCs cpu usage seemed to show it using a little more CPU
>> using the opengl option.
>
>  It might be faster or not depending on your hardware, you might
> check

Thanks for the response. It was stupid of me to not post my hardware... I was checking it out on a powerbook 667 rev.b.

> http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=688004582631
> to see what other users experienced with it. Also, remember it's not
> fully implemented or stable.

It was very helpful, thanks. By some of the posts I saw, I would have thought I'd have seen at least some speedup (this machine can do quartz extreme, although its at the low end with 16megs of vram) but such doesn't seem to be the case.

I was more just curious as to what was going on, as it was a new option to me, but I'm fairly stupid in this area. IE, I have an idea of when to use interlacing and when not to, but no clue about half the VLC options. From the post in ars, I'm assuming you're the guy doing it, so thanks for your hard work.