[vlc] Re: CPU Utilisation - Win 2K

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Sun Mar 28 00:23:43 CET 2004

On Sunday 28 March 2004 00:08, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed VLC 0.7.0 in an ASUS A7N277VM motherboard with an
> AMD 1800+ processor and 256 MB ram.  I'm running win2K SP4 and have
> DirectX 9b installed.
>
> When playing a reference 8Mb MPEG2 file I get 0-2% CPU utilisation, a
> little more at start of clip, but not much.. If I run a second copy the
> CPU goes up to 25% with some slight image quality problems.  Running a
> third copy, the CPU goes to 100% and obvious image problems.
>
> The single instance CPU usage is way below my expectations of 25 - 35%?
> Is this accurate? or am I seeing some artefact of the application?

Graphics cards can usually only display one YUV hardware overlay at a time
so only the 1st video will use all the possible hardware acceleration.

As for the quality problem with the video, try to disable the "Use hardware
YUV->RGB conversions" option in the preferences panel, that might solve it.

--
Gildas