[vlc] Re: videolan-based jukebox (longish)

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Thu May 6 21:04:19 CEST 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 20:52, Darrell Berry wrote:
> Yes I think you are right on that (which was why I was hoping someone on
the list had a clever suggestion!)

> Thanks, however for the other info, which is interesting.
>
> Anyone else got any ideas? Or am I stuck with mplayer & mounting a remote
share?

> Thanks!
>
> > However, if I remember corectly, flac is not streamable in
> >ts container, over UDP. That means that  you'll have to stream it in ogg
> >over http. The main drawback of this  is taht you cannot have the client
> >listen in  a passive  way with  that kind of  transport. Each  state you
> >begin to stream, you'll have to press "play" on client side in order for
> >it to send a http request to the server.

Actually Ogg streamed over UDP should work as long as the client started
listening before the server started sending the data (because the Ogg
headers are sent only at the beginning of the stream).

However there might be problems when the server switches between different
playlist items... It might also work but I just haven't tried (it would be
fixable if it doesn't work).

--
Gildas