[vlc] Re: Installation of vlc in Mandrake

Paul Allen allenp at nwlink.com
Fri May 7 18:59:56 CEST 2004

T.R.Venkatesh (RND) wrote:
> Hello,
>   I have downloaded source file for installing vlc in Mandrake ver10,
> architecture i586. When I compile, it is asking for dependcies.
>   Plz. Give me a solution to install vlc

Vlc is an exotic, cutting-edge sort of application.  It depends on
a large and varied collection of exotic and cutting edge libraries.
 From my knot-hole, it appears that the developers are going out
of their way to make sure that vlc depends critically on the very
latest versions of most of its dependencies, so no out-of-the-box
Linux distribution will have what's needed.  I'm not sure what else
I would have them do, but it does create a problem for folks who
want (or need) to build from source.

So, if you really want to build from source, be prepared for an
all-day adventure.  My procedure has gone like this:

	- Make a list of all the dependencies.  (The VideoLan web
		site helps here.)
	- Determine which of the dependencies are already satisfied.
	- Download the source tarballs for the rest.
	- Go through the README's for each remaining dependency, looking
		for further dependencies and arranging the list in order
		by what depends on what.
	- Go through the ordered list, building and installing each
		library in turn.
	- It's likely that you'll trip over some quirk that the
		developers didn't notice or failed to document.  They're
		generally friendly and helpful if you do your homework
		before asking your question.
	- Its likely that required dependencies will conflict with
		installed libraries that the rest of your system
		depends on.  It is possible to work around this, but
		it is a source of all sorts of fun.
	- If you finally end up with a vlc binary that works for
		you, sit back for a moment with your favourite
		beverage and bask in your accomplishment.

Fortunately, there is an alternative installation method that may work
for you.  Here's how I installed vlc the last time on RH9:

	- Wait until the developers have prepared binary rpm's for
		vlc and all of its dependencies.
	- Download all of the rpm's for things you need to upgrade
		or don't have.
	- Put all the rpms that will upgrade existing packages in a
		directory and do an "rpm -Uvh *.rpm" on them.  You
		might have to force it because lots of existing stuff
		will depend on packages you're upgrading.  (This
		could break things!  You might want to make a list
		of all the complaining packages so you can test them
		after forcibly replacing libraries they depend on.)
	- Put the remaining rpm's in another directory and do an
		"rpm -ivh *.rpm" on them.  You shouldn't need to
		force this one, but remember that we are right out
		there on the bleeding edge.
	- If you've made it this far, you may have a working vlc.

It will be a happy day when cutting-edge software like VideoLan
and Audacity are stable enough to be packaged by the major
distributions.  Unfortunately, neither is quite there yet.  The
best we can do is offer the developers our thanks and encouragement
for a nice piece of software, and wait patiently as the distributions
slowly catch up with them.

Enjoy!

Paul Allen